Want to find out which are the best characters to choose from in Super Smash Bros Ultimate? You’ve come to the right place then! This article has a properly curated Super Smash Bros Ultimate tier list, offering you the best characters to use from the game.
A crossover fighting game, Super Smash Bros Ultimate was released in 2018 and developed by Bandai Namco Studios and Sora Ltd. The game is published by Nintendo, for the Nintendo Switch, and is the fifth installment in the Super Smash Bros series.
- Also Read: Epic Seven Tier List 2023
Super Smash Bros Ultimate has over 78 characters and DLCs which the players can choose to smash their opponents. The game offers more than 100 stages, with each stage having its Final destination versions and battlefields. Also, the game offers over 800 tracks to help heat up the battlefield. So to level up your game you need to know the characters and their abilities better.
This Super Smash Bros Ultimate tier list provides the best to worst characters that you can choose to rank high in the game.
The Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Tier List
We have ranked the characters in tiers based on their competitive gameplay, skills, abilities, and performance. The characters are divided into five tiers, including
- S-tier: This is the top tier, consisting of the best characters in the game. With skills like aerial moves, melee attacks, and smash powers, S-Tier characters are the must-have ones.
- A-tier: The A-tier is also a top tier, slightly less powerful than the characters in S-tier. But you can easily improve your gameplay by using them as they provide solid defense and killer setups.
- B-tier: Although the upper tiers would provide you with more leverage in the game if used properly, B-Tier characters have unique powers that will help you win matches.
- C-tier: This is a mid-tier, consisting of less powerful characters. They act as supportive players only. So it is advisable to use the characters from the top tiers to win matches.
- D-tier: D-tier is the lowest tier, consisting of the worst characters. Better avoid them as they have poor powers and skills.
Let’s dive into the Super Smash Bros Ultimate tier list, and help you choose the best characters in the game.
The characters in this tier are the top ones, representing the best results and movesets in the game. They foster effective learning, as well as offer players a mighty fight against opponents. Some of the characters in this tier, such as Pikachu have an excellent edge-guarding ability, while Peach has powerful airborne kicks and lethal projectiles. Here is the detailed list of all the S-Tier Characters:
- Peach– Powerful airborne kicks with lethal down special.
- Pikachu– Excellent recovery and edge-guarding skills.
- Steve– Amazing combos with excellent ledge-trapping, and powerful King moves.
- Diddy Kong– A lightweight character with extremely high speed, helping in defeating opponents.
- Joker– Extremely fast with efficient recovery, this character is the best suitable for players who understand the game properly.
- Wolf– Excellent range of kill options, with ultimate final smash power.
- R.O.B– A fantastic recovery with strong projectile options.
- Roy– Massive melee kills power with great speed.
- Pyra & Mythra– Great range with extremely powerful knockback attacks, and a good range of projectiles, allowing players to harness the power of light and fire.
- Palutena– Easy to master movesets, with remarkable aerial moves.
Not as good as the S-Tier characters, the A-Tier characters of the Super Smash Bros Ultimate tier list are still a good choice for the players. The reasons for this mainly include consistency and results. They are best for matchups and provide high kit strength, as well as consistency in their respective roles.
- Link– Fun projectiles with all-rounder stats, Link is one of the strong players in the game.
- Min Min– With the best physical range in the game, this character has amazing kill power.
- Sora– Considered to be a light fighter, has the ability to use three different kinds of magic and an ultimate smash power.
- Mario– With an excellent recovery rate, this character is best for beginners to level up their ranks.
- Pokemon Trainer– Is a very versatile character, putting the powers of Charizard, Squirtle, and Ivysaur to full use.
- Sonic– Mainly known for its speed, this character also has a great recovery rate.
- Shulk– An excellent all-rounder with Monado arts and a unique fighting style, but extremely hard to master.
- Mr. Game & Watch- Solid defense with strong kill setups.
- Yoshi– Strong aerial skills and is difficult to knock out
- Inkling– An efficiently balanced character offering great damage but is very hard to master.
- Captain Falcon– Combos of this character is tough to master, but he is hard-hitting and fast.
- Olimar– Strong aerial moves but struggles without Pikmin pals.
- Mega Man– Great at interruptions, this character has more projectiles than any other character in the game.
- Wario– Has high stats and a strong knowledge of the workings of the game.
- Daisy– Identical powers to those of Peach, Daisy offers her own personality on a battlefield, making it more intense and interesting
- Chrom– Super fast attacks with a long reach and an above-average defense
- Dark Samus– Has a floatier movement pattern with handy projectiles and strong attacks
- Snake– Has powerful hits with a good fighting range, but is hard to master
- Sheik– Has excellent speed with the power of dashing enemies
- Greninja– Has excellent speed with strong aerial moves, and is considered to be hard to hit.
Just below the A-tier, the B-tier characters in the Super Smash Bros Ultimate tier list are considered to be the lower top ones in the game. Though not a preferred tier, B-Tier has characters like Ryu, Bayonetta, and Corrin that offer a high range of projectiles for helping players level up their ranks in the game.
- Luigi– With a high jump power, this character has a slightly lower speed and stats.
- Ryu– Even though it has a poor recovery rate, this character has some good combos, allowing them to take enemies down with ease.
- Corrin– Does not deal with a lot of damage, but is capable of killing options.
- Bayonetta– With a tremendous aerial moveset, this character also is a combo master, with little kill power and recovery.
- Ike– Excelling in the air, this character has powerful attacks.
- Ice Climbers– With middling stats, these characters struggle to recover.
- Pichu– A fast character with excellent combos, it lacks enough damage.
- Pac-Man– Fun with unique and effective movesets, this character is slow and struggles with speed.
- Also Read: Punishing Gray Raven Tier List
C-Tier characters in Super Smash Bros Ultimate are considered to be below-average ones. They mainly comprise tertiary picks and lack abilities and strengths. Even though these characters have lower ceilings than the top tiers, the characters in this tier can be arguable when it comes to using certain specific moves and attributes.
- Rosalina and Luma– Great aerially, this character has two hitboxes but is ineffective if Luma dies
- Robin– Fantastic at range attack with a good recovery rate, this character has a tendency of running out of projectiles
- Piranha Plant– Has surprisingly strong attacks but is very slow and faces difficulty to land
- Donkey Kong– One of its strongest attacks is the charged punk but lacks recovery
- Kirby– A cute pink blob, having an incredible recovery rate, but is extremely slow
- Toon Link– Smaller and faster, this character is easier to kill and has low damage
- Zelda– Having an amazing final smash with a 100% KO, this character is slow and does not deal with much damage.
As you have figured out by now, the D-tier characters of the Super Smash Bros Ultimate tier list provide you with characters that you should avoid using. These characters are weak and need more power to help you level up in the game. Due to their lack of movesets and match-ups, it is better you avoid these characters and choose from the top tiers.
- Isabelle– Adored for its cute looks, this character in Super Smash Bros Ultimate has below-than-average stats.
- Little Mac- Has a fair attacking speed, this may be the best character for beginners to practice with, but his stats are poor and would not help in ranking.
- King K. Rool– Even though it has powerful attacks and KO, this character is extremely slow and has a very poor recovery rate.
- Ganondorf– With a high attack and kill power, this character is extremely low and poor.
Make sure to come back to this page as we will keep updating the Super Smash Bros Ultimate tier list based on the current stats of the characters. Till then, go use the top characters and level up your rankings in the game!