A thrilling new platform game called SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake takes players on an exciting journey through the underwater realm of Bikini Bottom. This game, created by Purple Lamp Studios and released by THQ Nordic, is based on the well-known SpongeBob SquarePants cartoon that airs on Nickelodeon. SpongeBob and his friends set out to protect the planet from a cosmic catastrophe in the game. While combatting enemies and solving challenging puzzles, players will explore several bright and colourful locales, such as Jellyfish Fields, Goo Lagoon, and the Krusty Krab. In 2021 the game came on PS4 and shared its announcement trailer on its Youtube channel.
- Players assume the character of SpongeBob in SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake as he sets out on a mission to prevent the universe from falling into disorder due to the Wish-granting Mermaid’s Tears.
- The game uses new and old platforming moves like the Fishhook Swing and the Karate Kick to help players progress through levels.
- More than 30 outfits with various special abilities are available for players to earn, including the SnailBob costume, which gives SpongeBob the ability to move extremely quickly.
- The game takes players to seven different Wishworlds, including Halloween Rock Bottom and the Wild West Jellyfish Fields, where they can interact with their favourite Bikini Bottomites from the television show, all of whom have their characters’ original voice actors.
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake blends popular SpongeBob characters and locations with action-packed platforming gameplay.
Abilities of Spongebob
- As the player advances throughout the game, SpongeBob’s skills are improved.
- A spin-jump that can smash through more brutal objects can be added to the base Spin Assault, which is used to attack adversaries and break things.
- SpongeBob can improve the Glide ability to add a mid-air dash, allowing him to glide through the air and access regions that would otherwise be inaccessible.
- SpongeBob may do a mid-air kick by upgrading his Karate Kick, which can also be used to knock back foes and get through barriers.
- SpongeBob’s ability to use the Fishhook Swing to swing from hooks and access new regions is one of the game’s most distinguishing characteristics.
- With the addition of a mid-air swing to this move, SpongeBob can climb much higher.
Reception of the Game
Many reviewers have commended the game’s aesthetics, saying that the lively and colourful world of Bikini Bottom has been faithfully replicated. The animations and character models have received praise for staying true to the original TV series. The gameplay has been praised as enjoyable and exciting, with the many platforming difficulties and battle scenes offering the right amount of challenge and interest.
Critics have praised the game’s new addition of outfits, praising the vast variety of possibilities and their inventive designs. It has been praised as a nice improvement to the gameplay mechanics to switch between costumes at will and have each one give different skills.
Check our other Game Review articles.